Subject: Re: bootstrap?
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Francis Demierre <francis@hasler.ascom.ch>
List: amiga
Date: 01/10/1995 18:50:54
   > From owner-amiga@NetBSD.ORG Tue Jan 10 17:41:46 1995
   > From: osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu (Michael L. Hitch)
   > Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 09:24:47 -0700
   > To: amiga@NetBSD.ORG
   > Subject: Re: bootstrap?
   > Sender: owner-amiga@NetBSD.ORG
   >
   > On Jan 10,  3:54pm, Markus Illenseer wrote:
   > > On Jan 10,  4:35pm, Darren Reed wrote:
   > > > I've seen many demo's takeover the amiga using custom bootblocks (as
   > > > well as many commercial games).  Why isn't this done ?
   > >
   > >  Go ahead and write one, talk with Tero Maninen who has a basic one working.
   >
   >   I've also got a bootblock that boots my A4000/WarpEngine (it doesn't work
   > on my A2000/Zeus though).
   >
   >   One of the problems with writing a custom bootblock is getting rid of
   > any relocatable addresses that need to be adjusted.  My solution was to
   > use SAS/C.
   >
   > Michael
   >
   > --
   > Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu
   > Computer Consultant
   > Office of Systems and Computing Services
   > Montana State University	Bozeman, MT	USA

I myself use a comfortable solution to boot my Amiga.
Ok, it is not real UNIX boot or Lilo like but it is really easy to use.

This solution is "Startup-Menu" found on Aminet (in util/boot/Startup-Menu.lha),
it allows you to define a window with unlimited number of buttons to carry out
all sorts of tasks during the boot process or to select alternative startup
sequences, etc ... (It users reqtools.library).

It can be the first thing in your s:startup-sequence and I have it with three
buttons "Load BSD - Ask", "Load BSD Single User" and "Load BSD Auto".

It also has a timout feature. It will exit after a user defined period
and return to the startup-sequence with WARN exit code. One can easily do
a netbsd boot after a WARN condition. This woulkd then be unattended NetBSD
reboot....

There is also "Breq-1.16' on Aminet (same directory) which has DEFAULT and
TIMEOUT options (I did not try this one yet) and which was coded for starting
NetBSD. But this one is unfortunately very limited on the number of options
(ie: do two things) but the source comes with it, so it is probably up to you
to add more options. (Intution based, no need for reqtools or any other ...).

Why would you need a genuine boot block for ? Well, the only answer I can
imagine is: "Because I do not want to install AmigaDOS at all, I want my
machine entierly dedicated to NetBSD !". But the above setup can be done on
a VERY small partition and that does not waste so much space....

Hey developpers ! do  not waste time on a boot loader but continue good work
on NetBSD itself  ;-)

Francis.

Francis Demierre          SMTP : francis@hasler.ascom.ch
Ascom Hasler AG,          UUCP: ...!mcsun!chsun!hslrswi!francis
Abt. NVEI2,               X.400: S=francis/O=ascom/P=eunet/A=arcom/C=ch
Belpstrasse 37,,          Tel. : +41 31 999 3503
CH-3000 Bern 14           Fax  : +41 31 999 3735

Here is the README file of Startup-Menu:

Short:    V1.41 Cumstomisable startup menu and util