Subject: Re: bootstrap?
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
List: amiga
Date: 01/10/1995 17:29:22

> Hi Darren,
>
> > > This just means that the AMiga boots into ADOS first.
> > > If you made a floppy with the only file on it s:startup-sequence
> > > (+ necessary libs) which contains "loadbsd -a :netbsd" then
> > > it wouldn't be far from autobooting.
> >
> > I've seen many demo's takeover the amiga using custom bootblocks (as
> > well as many commercial games).  Why isn't this done ?
> >
> > Also, what about the Amiga 1000 where you could write a custom kickstart ?
> >
> > Darren
> >

> Why would you want a custom bootblock? That still requires ADOS to boot
> then load the kernal.

I thought it could be done without ADOS.  Silly me huh ?
> NetBSD is effectively a kickstart file. It may be feasible to
> make the netbsd kernal look like an A3000 superkickstart file
> but why?

If you don't know the "why" to this...

Why ?  Because it can be done...
Why ?  Because it would be cool to do...
Why ?  Because it is an Amiga and only the Amiga makes it possible :-)
If PC's can boot into netbsd without 'dos then why shouldn't we ?

Now, if it were for reasons like need to get the memory list, etc, then
sure...that's reasonable.