Subject: probs & newbie questions
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Geir Harald Hansen <geirhans@ifi.uio.no>
List: amiga
Date: 01/02/1995 04:29:46
Sorry for this long list of newbie questions, but the FAQs need
updating and maybe someone else are wondering about the same things?

What is the point of the CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE (zap)
key sequence in X11? It only freezes up my machine!

Is it possible to get the console to display ISO characters?
How can I generate the international ISO characters in X?
(all those alt combinations like alt-o, alt-h, alt-j etc. were
great in ADOS! Anything similar possible?)

The 386BSD FAQ says stty() and gtty() were missing in 386BSD v0.1 but
it's still missing in NetBSD 1.0 :( The macros from the FAQ works
though.. (maybe they should be in an include file somewhere?)

Daily insecurity output complains that /var/db/kvm_vmunix.db is
missing. But isn't it called /var/db/kvm_netbsd.db ?

Are views used yet? Is it possible to switch between the X display
and the console, and if so -- how? Any other uses? Any point in
configuring more than 1 or 2 views in the kernel?

Is there any text file anywhere explaining all the kernel compilation
options? (/sys/arch/amiga/conf/*) Or would some kernel hacker somewhere
be kind enough to make one?

(What are the TIMEZONE and DST constants for? Can you use these to compile
a kernel so that the time is correct on both the Amiga and NetBSD side?)

When compiling the NetBSD 1.0 kernel I get:
.../kern/sys_process.c:198:
warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size

Why is the cursor placed at line 24 (25?) when you log in? Does anyone
have a console that small? On my 90x70 console this looks bad :(

I get kernel panics when the system gets overloaded. When I compile
a couple of things at the same time etc. The machine is swapping like
crazy and then BAM - kernel panic :(

I'm running NetBSD 1.0 on an A3000 with 4M fast and 2M chip.
I have a 32M swap partition.. 32M swap and 4M memory is probably not
a usual configuration :) so maybe other people run out of memory before
they would get a kernel panic..?

I also got kernel panics when rebooting the GENERIC kernel with
"cp /netbsd /dev/reload".. it happens right after "starting sys.logger"

Accessing ADOS devices freezes up my machine sometimes. Is this a known
phenomenon? Buggy kernel code?