Subject: Re: Question about installing on an A2000
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <bsieker@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga
Date: 12/19/1994 14:06:54
|> From: apreston@isd.csc.com (Anthony Preston)
|>
|> I have an ECS A2000 with a VXL-30 40 Mhz 68030, A2091, 9 MBs memory(1 MB
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think you are totally out of luck here! As far as I remember the
only 40MHz 68030 manufactured a EC types, i. e. without MMU. NetBSD
(and any other _real_ UNIX) absolutely requires an MMU! I am also not
sure if the VXL blard contains an FPU, which is, at the current state
of NetBSD, also strictly required. Future versions might have a
software emulation, but I don't know about any actual plans to
implement that.

|>   2) Given that I want to:
|>      a) Install NetBSD(latest version)
|>      b) Do software developement, be able to re-built the system, ect
|>      Then:
|>      What size HD should I replace the 52 MB one with?  What is the estimated
|>      space required to have NetBSD, GCC, plus source and objects on my system?

500 MB will probably be a good size to do some development. Given that
500 MB hard disks are quite cheap at the moment, this looks like a
good choice.

But as said above, I believe that you need to get a new processor
board first. Better check that out!

	Bernd