Subject: Re: uname question
To: None <>
From: Stephen Anspach <>
List: amiga
Date: 12/07/1994 13:56:13
> /etc/myname can be your FQDN (that's what i use), or it can be what
> you add do your 'domain' (in /etc/resolv.conf) to get your FQDN.

  Hum.  Well, I changed /etc/myname to reflect my FQDN and everything seems
fine.  /etc/resolv.conf I have as:

  So shouldn't that have worked?  I mean, I haven't had any problems with
mail, news, etc. so I guess it _was_ working after a fashion...

> you misunderstand what /etc/defaultdomain is for: it's your YP domain
> name, if you're using YP.

  I did.  Thanks for the clarification.  My boxes aren't connected yet, so
I'm not using YP as of now...
> A bad naming convention, perhaps, but unless i'm mistaken,
> /etc/defaultdomain was picked because it mached sun's name scheme.

  Sounds like Sun is slowly becoming the Microsloth of the UNIX world...

                                    - Steve -

Internet		FidoNet    1:102/852.6

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?