Subject: Re: 3.1 Kickstart and NetBSD
To: None <blaz.zupan@uni-mb.si>
From: Tobias Abt <zcjc1121@rpool1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>
List: amiga
Date: 12/07/1994 11:12:16
> About the problem when booting NetBSD under Kickstart 3.1 on
> an Amiga 2000:
>
> The 2000 is recognized as an 1200 because the 3.1 ROM (40.63) for the
> 2000 has the card.resource. The LoadBSD command assumes that if
> it finds the card.resource that this is a 1200. It seems like
> the 2000 3.1 ROM was also meant to be used on the 1200 or maybe
> even the 600. So I suggest to use some other method to find
> out if the machine is a 1200 or a 2000.

_How_ does loadbsd find it? Does it simply look in the resident list or
does it OpenResource("card.resource") ?
AFAIK, only the second way is safe. If this OpenResource() succeeds, then
you really have PCMCIA, i.e. you have an A600 or A1200. Then you can check
further whether AGA is set in the GfxBase to determine which of them.
If this OpenResource fails, then test for AGA, if <yes> then it is an
A4000, else if there is an A3000-Bonus it is an A3000 else it is an
A2000.

This should IMHO work... :-)

> Blaz

Bye,                    \|/
  Tobias                @ @
| Tobias Abt                                  |
| email: zcjc1121@rpool1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de |
|   irc: tabt@#AmigaGer                       |