Subject: Re: Problem with setgid
To: Bernd Ernesti <erbe0011@FH-Karlsruhe.DE>
From: Stephen Anspach <spach@xor.lax.primenet.com>
List: amiga
Date: 12/06/1994 14:44:49
> after I can't get elm 2.4pl24 to work with an chmod 775 /var/mail I looked
> in the source of lock.c and found that the setgid return -1 when I run
> it as an normal user.

  Hum, I'm running elm here and I know what you're talking about.  I've
never looked at lock.c, but that should be correct, AFAIK.  No normal user
should be allowed to call setuid or setgid, so a -1 is the proper return
value.  Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

> The elm binary has drwxr-sr-x and the same group as /var/mail which is wheel.
> I don't want a worldwriteable mail dir.

  I've set /var/mail to drwxrwxrwt root.wheel, and /usr/local/bin/elm to
-rwxr-sr-x bin.bin.  With the sticky bit set on /var/mail, nobody can muck
with others files, and they're permed rw for owner only.  I'd been meaning
to go back and look to see if elm really even needs the setgid to run (I
think so).

> P.S: this is on am amiga using 1.0 (maybe this problem is gone on current)

  1.0b2 here.

--
                                    - Steve -

Internet  spach@xor.lax.primenet.com		FidoNet    1:102/852.6