Subject: Re: Problems with installing 1.0b
To: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: amiga
Date: 12/05/1994 15:14:53
> > I used to prefer this, but nowadys I seldom use it.  When having a slow
> > processor and large disks the unnecessary filechecks when I know they
> > are cleanly unmounted are very disturbing.  I know there are plans to
> > add a "fs clean" flag to the ufs, but as long as it isn't there I boot
> > through single user all the time.
>
> "It's in there!"  If you use the command `fastboot' to shut down the
> machine, it will skip the disk checks on the next boot.  I have been
> using this for almost a year now with great success.

actually, 'fastboot' has nothing to do with an 'fs clean' flag; take a
look at /etc/rc (etc.) to see what 'fastboot' really does.

it's a reasonable substitute for not having a fs clean flag working,
but it's not nearly the 'real thing'.  note that "at first look", a fs
clean flag looks trivial to implement.  it's not nearly so easy to
implement _properly_...

chris