Subject: SCSI tape/tar/mount_ados woes
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.org>
From: L. Todd Masco <cactus@seabsd.hks.net>
List: amiga
Date: 12/05/1994 14:34:42
I'm having a rather annoying experience with a SCSI 4mm tape drive.  I'm
getting the following behavior, which I thought I'd mention here in case
it's not standard.

	- When I'm waiting for a SCSI tape I/O to complete, the entire
	machine (A3000 NetBSD 1.0) freezes until it completes.  This
	can be replicated with, for example, "mt -f /dev/nrst0 rewind"

	- Tar is very flakey about report the contents of the tape.  I
	wrote a tape earlier today of my whole system.  If I
	"tar tvf /dev/nrst0", it reports the first hundred or so files.
	A second "tar tvf /dev/nrst0" will get the rest.  This might not
	be a SCSI problem: the author of gnu tar has said he wouldn't
	recommend its use (though I've never had any problems on other
	systems with gnu tar).

	- Backing up /mnt (which is a mount_adosed partition) frequently
	fails because tar gets hung up on a single file on the AmigaDOS
	partition, seemingly going on forever.

Any suggestions for these?

Thanks,
--
Todd Masco     | "Roam home to a dome, Where Georgian and Gothic once stood
cactus@hks.net |  Now chemical bonds alone guard our blond(e)s,