Subject: Re: UFS
To: L. Todd Masco <cactus@seabsd.hks.net>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: amiga
Date: 12/05/1994 14:38:50
>In article <6447@lyssa.owl.de>, Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de> wrote:
>>just a silly question:
>>What does UFS actually mean ? Unix File System ?
>
>Take your pick:
>
> 	User File System
> 	Unix File System
> 	Ultrix File System
>
>I've seen docs claiming all of the above.  Since there's no "official" source,
>it's probably best to stick with "UFS" and try not to think about it too
>hard.

the correct answer _is_ UNIX File System.  Note that in current
Berkeley release documentation, "UFS" doesn't denote any single file
system, but rather those file systems which have "UNIX semantics" for
their various operations.

that's why in the current NetBSD sources, FFS and LFS are both "UFS"s,
and none of msdosfs, adosfs, nfs, etc., are.

chris