Subject: Re: mount_ados
To: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: amiga
Date: 12/04/1994 18:14:20
> On the question of the reason
> why users should be able to mount filesystems, I think it's good that
> users are able to mount self-supplied floppies.  Or is that a security
> problem?  I don't think so.

Actually, i'll go further than that:

Users should be able to mount _anything_, including user-supplied floppies,
CD-ROM's, filesystems-in-files, etc., so longs as:
	(1) they have the appropriate permissions on the device
		to be mounted from and on the mounted-on directory, and
	(2) that mount doesn't add any security risks (e.g. via set-id
		programs, devices, or "traps.")

Note that this is a bit more complex than it might seem: e.g.
"appropriate permissions" on the mounted-on directory mean
"ownership", rather than simply read- or read-write permissions.
why?  well, say you could mount something like msdosfs (which has no
inherent notion of ownership) over /tmp...

chris