Subject: Re: Problems mounting CD-ROM
To: None <Mattias_Johansson@f705.n203.z2.fidonet.cd.chalmers.se, amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga
Date: 11/14/1994 10:27:52
On Nov 10,  8:17pm, Mattias_Johansson@f705.n203.z2.fidonet.cd.chalmers wrote:
> I have the Meeting Pearls CD witch includes a NetBSD tree like this:

 This is probably not the right place to ask about problems with this CD,
but as I compilated the archive, I voluntary answer of course.

 Just one word: The version of NetBSD found on the CD is 0.9a and is
*WAY* old. I cannot recommend the use of it.

[...]
> # mount /dev/cd0 /usr  ( The CD-ROM is listed as cd0 in the startup info)
> Cannot mount: Not supported by device (Or whatever, the context is the same at
> least...)

 Ahem?! You are *NOT* using a kernel from the CD. NetBSD 0.9 did not
recognize the CD as /dev/cd0 but as /dev/sdxc whereas x is the SCSI ID.

 (And mounting the CD to /usr is a bad idea, too)

 Don't even think to mix 0.9a and 1.0 binaries or kernel unless you know
what you are doing. The supplied mount (and mount_isofs) is not compatible
with the kernel you are (probably) using.

 I don't know right now if the old NetBSD supports your IVS SCSI adaptor,
this could be the reason why you use a new kernel. If you can start the
kernel from the CD, then try mounting the CD as suggested in the
readme:

 mount -t isofs -ro /dev/sdxc /cdrom

(x is the SCSI ID of the CD-ROM).

 NetBSD 1.0 will be on the next volume of the Meeting Pearls CD to be
expected january '95 and on a special NetBSD-Amiga CD.

--
Markus Illenseer