Subject: Re: netbsd1.0 kernel
To: Tim Newsham <newsham@zang.kcc.hawaii.edu>
From: Blaz Zupan <blaz@gmizo.uni-mb.si>
List: amiga
Date: 11/10/1994 10:05:31
>   I upgraded my system to NetBSD1.0 last night.  Almost everything
> went fine.  I installed all the binaries but was unable to use the
> new kernel itself.  When the kernel starts up it starts printing out
>
> During startup it reports my machine as an a1200.  I have an old
> GVP 030/23mhz accelerator in my A2000 machine which, of course, isnt
> an a2000.  My old kernel also reports it as an a1200 though.  One
> interesting thing is that it thinks there is an ide controller
> on the bus..  I figured this is because it thinks I have an a1200.

Are you running Kickstart 3.0 on your machine? I had 2.0 in mine
and it was correctly identified, but when I upgraded to 3.0
it was suddenly recognized as an A1200. I had to give the
option "-c 2000" to force it to an A2000. This is a bug in
the auto detection logic as I think it searches for some library
or device or resource that SHOULD be only available on the 1200,
but is also present in the 3.0 ROM for the 2000 (I think it's the
PCMCIA code but not sure...) as the 2000 ROM can also be used
on other machines (f.e. the 600).

> I have one meg of chip ram.  I remember hearing problems about
> new kernels being too big for this.  The kernel image is only
> 800k+ though.

I also have only 1 meg chipram but it works just fine, but it's true
that I compiled my own kernel and removed all the unneccesary stuff
from it (I only left the IVS SCSI driver).