Subject: Tandberg Panther Tapedrive
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.Org>
From: Karl Ivar Dahl <karld@ifi.uio.no>
List: amiga
Date: 10/27/1994 10:00:04
I have successfully used my Tandberg Panther QIC-150 Scsi
drive for some kernels now. But with the latest
beta#2 A3000 and Generic kernels, I have had some problems.

If I try to use the drive with tar, I get an error message
saying that it was sent a command that was not
in the range 0-255. You might understand my shock, when I
had bought this tapedrive just for NetBSD :)

Well, I experimented a bit, and found out that if I used
mt /dev/nrst0 fsf
then,
mt /dev/rst0 rew
        ^^^^
THEN I could use tar without problems.
The drivelight does not go out with the rewind, unless I use
/dev/rst0, and then tar does not work.

It seems like some initialization is lacking, because if
I have used the drive on the amigaside first, i get no such problems.

I am using an A3000,8MB fast, with the complete Beta#2 installation.

I would like to add, that I experienced this problem once before
too, running the kernel that came before the Beta#1.
I discovered then, that this error occurred only when I ran
Bash, and not tcsh. I could use the drive in tcsh, start bash, and
get this error.
But now, this error occurs with all the shells.

Any hints how to fix this is appreciated. This problem is quite
annoying when the first file on the tape is 150MB....

I am also interested in knowing if the problem with the entire system
locking up while using f.ex. mt. is something that can be fixed.
On the other systems I have used, only the shell locks. Not the entire
system.

--
Cheers,
Karl Ivar Dahl    (____)