Subject: Re: gdb?
To: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Arthur Hoffmann <hoffmann@it.ntu.edu.au>
List: amiga
Date: 10/21/1994 14:19:05

> On Oct 20,  4:44pm, Arthur Hoffmann wrote:
> > I was just wondering if someone could tell me which kernel was the
> > last that supported gdb.
> > I have been waiting for quite some time to be able to use gdb, but now
> > exams are coming up and I don't have the time anymore to drive to town
> > to debug my programs on the university machines.
>
>   I haven't had any problems with gdb on the current kernel.  For a while,
> I thought I had one system that worked and another that didn't, even though
> I was running the same version of the kernel.  That "problem" turned out
> to be running with a gdb compiled last December.  After getting rid of that
> old version and running with a newer one, it worked fine.
>
> > What is the problem with it anyway?
>
>   I think the problem was that the kernel was enforcing a long-word
> alignment on accesses to the registers, but the registers on the m68k
> stack frame weren't on the required boundary.
>
> Michael

Thank you Michael, for your reply.

The last kernel I compiled was with sup sources from Oct 15, and I
recompiled gdb the same day. (same errors for the original and my own
compilation of gdb)
I still get the following output:

Fist some steps work then the following happens.
It happens with any program I'm trying to debug.
Also I'm running gdb in emacs and every line gdb outputs is appended
by the ^M symbol. Why is that? It doesn't happen on the Suns at University.

When using xxgdb 1.08 I get some other errors: (instead of ^M)

Just for completeness I'm running an A3000 with 18M ram.
I'm running pre-release1 binaries with the current kernel.

-------xxgdb1.08_output-------

(xxgdb) run example.pas
[TIOCSPGRP failed in terminal_inferior: Inappropriate ioctl for
device]

Breakpoint 1, main (argc=0, argv=0x0) at parse.y:211
(xxgdb) s
[TIOCSPGRP failed in terminal_inferior: Inappropriate ioctl for
device]
(xxgdb) s
[TIOCSPGRP failed in terminal_inferior: Inappropriate ioctl for
device]
Error accessing memory address 0x8084: No such process.

------end_xxgdb1.08_output----------

-------------gdb_output in Emacs 19.27--------------------------

sym_hash (s=0x10001 "examples") at symtab.c:17

(gdb) s
(gdb) s
(gdb) s
(gdb) s
(gdb) s
(gdb) s
(gdb) s
Error accessing memory address 0x3d8c: No such process.

(gdb) s
(gdb) p s
$10 = 0x10005 "ples"

(gdb) s
(gdb) s
(gdb) p s
$11 = 0x10006 "les"

(gdb) p hashval
$12 = 96947249

(gdb) s
Error accessing memory address 0x3d8c: No such process.

(gdb) p s
$13 = 0x10006 "les"

(gdb) s
(gdb) s
Error accessing memory address 0x3d8c: No such process.

(gdb) (gdb) s
(gdb) s
Error accessing memory address 0x3df6: No such process.

(gdb) p s
$14 = 0x10001 "examples"

-------------end gdb_output in Emacs 19.27------------------

Thanks for any help.