Subject: Re: Hardware handshaking
To: Jeremy Alan Green <jag@world.std.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 10/19/1994 13:41:52
On Oct 19,  1:43pm, Jeremy Alan Green wrote:
> Does anyone have a patch to enable hardware handshaking
> for NetBSD-Amiga?  I'm trying to ftp large files (X11R5) over
> ppp and it is incredibly slow with all of the silo overflows.
> It goes at about 25% efficiency over a 14.4 modem.

  There is no patch to fix silo overflows.  The silo overflow indicates
that the hardware receive register was overwritten with another character
before the software could read the previous character.  The Amiga serial
port does not do hardware flow control in hardware.

  The latest kernel should include the updated serial driver that does
implement CRT/RTS handshaking by the software.  [Output handshaking has always
(as far as I can remember) been there, but input handshaking wasn't until
recently.]  This will only help with receive buffer overflows, not silo
overflows.

  The only cure for silo overflows is either a faster CPU/memory, or a
serial card with for hardware buffering.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu
Computer Consultant