Subject: Re: home-made kernel won't boot
To: John Vrolijk <dsnjvro@etmsun.ericsson.se>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
List: amiga
Date: 10/12/1994 08:32:54
On Wed, 12 Oct 1994, John Vrolijk wrote:

> I've downloaded the source for the kernel, and tried to compile
> the GENERIC one.
> Compiling was ok, but when I tried to boot it, nothing happened,
> the system just hangs after the 'syncing disks' message.
> Any ideas ??
>
> My config file ( the GENERIC one with all options )

You never mentioned what machine you're running on.

For some time now the full GENERIC kernel has exceeded 1MB.  This means
that you need 2MB Chip RAM to boot it.

And are you using loadbsd or /dev/{reload,reboot}?  The latter only works
if the differences between the new kernel and the running kernel are very
small.

Eduardo