Subject: Re: Tar Multi Volume on /dev/fd0
To: None <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Francis Demierre <francis@hasler.ascom.ch>
List: amiga
Date: 10/12/1994 14:40:09
   > From owner-amiga@NetBSD.ORG Wed Oct 12 13:49:23 1994
   > To: "NetBSD Amiga" <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
   > From: "Matthias Scheler" <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
   > Date: Tue, 11 Oct 94 23:56:25 +0100
   > Subject: Re: Tar Multi Volume on /dev/fd0
   >

   >     Hi Francis,
   >
   > you wrote in <9410111246.AA11491@gamma.hasler.ascom.ch>:
   > > I have definitely done multi-volume diskette tar under NetBSD and it
   > > worked fine .... Just tell the size of one volume ...
   >
   > Why  ?
   >
   > I don't need to do this with SunOS 4.1.x. If NetBSD is not able to handle
   > this properly it's a big flaw.
   >
   > --
   > Matthias Scheler
   > tron@lyssa.owl.de

Hi Matthias,

I do not deny that is can be considered as a flaw,

i would just reword your sentence a little bit:

I don't need to do this with SunOS 4.1.x. If GNU tar is not able to handle
this properly it's a big flaw.

I had a quick look at the GNU tar source and if the size (-L <size>)
is not specified but -M is, it relies on getting  either ENOSPC or EIO
or ENXIO  error and will ask for a new volume if it got such an error
or it will otherwise choke out (writeerror() does an exit()).

  /* We're multivol  Panic if we didn't get the right kind of response */
  /* ENXIO is for the UNIX PC */
  if (err < 0 && errno != ENOSPC && errno != EIO && errno != ENXIO)
    writeerror (err);

So, my guess would be that the floppy driver does not return the correct
errno ....

Am I right ? Could the floppy driver author confirm this ?

Francis