Subject: Re: Out of pty's - help
To: None <amiga%NetBSD.org@messi.uku.fi, jmarin@muikku.jmp.fi>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl>
List: amiga
Date: 10/10/1994 16:41:07
"Jukka Marin" <jmarin@muikku.jmp.fi> wrote:
> I'm constantly running out of pty's (virtual terminal lines).
>
> I recompiled the kernel with pty set to 48 (and according to binpatch,
> the number really is 48).  I created the device nodes pty[qrs]* and
> tty[qrs]* using MAKEDEV.  I rebooted.  Still, only the first 16 pty's
> are used by the system.  When they run out, screen etc. refuses to work.

The problem is that all programs that want to use a pty must find one that
is not yet in use. The code for that must be duplicated in every program.
This also inludes which pty names it is going to try.

I'm afraid you'll have to locate the relevant code in screen, adjust the
names tried, and recompile. The same goes for other programs that you have
trouble with.

Perhaps The Right Way to fix this would be to have some pseudo device
(say /dev/pty) that is an alias for the first available pty. But I'm
afraid I have no time to implement that.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert    rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl     Ooey-Gooey-Fluffy-Barfie
\X/ I'm not weird, I'm differently percepted. D787B44DFC896063 4CBB95A5BD1DAA96