Subject: Re: NetBSD and the serial port.
To: Tomas Karki <tkarki@algonet.se>
From: Quetzalcoatl Bradley <qbradley@sol.UVic.CA>
List: amiga
Date: 10/07/1994 18:02:18
On Fri, 7 Oct 1994, Tomas Karki wrote:

> I have problem with the serial port and NetBSD prerelease 2.
>
> I want that it should be possible for others calling me, so I did this:
>
> echo "ats0=1" >tty00
>
> But when my computer tries to send something to the serialport (I think
> it is then it happens) the RD/SD LED:s is lit all the time. (I.e. something
> is sent from/to the modem all the time)
>
> Have I done something wrong or is there a problem with the serialport
> handling in NetBSD prerelease 2?

I had this problem.  You can't send anything to the serial port when
getty is sitting on it, or getty will think a call is incoming.  I solved
this by putting the following two lines at the end of my "/etc/rc.local"
file.

echo "ats0=2" >/dev/tty00
echo "" >/dev/tty00

When rc.local is executed, the getty process hasn't been run yet, so they
don't interfere.  The modem is put in auto answer mode, and a little
later init runs getty.

Good luck.

--
Quetzalcoatl Bradley