Subject: Re: Routing problem - solved
To: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 10/03/1994 10:07:21
On Oct  3,  4:15pm, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> > It seems to be good practice to make clean after making changes in the
> > config file...
>
> Shouldn't "make depend" be enought in moat cases?

  In most cases, probably.  In this particular case, I don't think it would
work.  "Make depend" only checks file dependancies.  Some options in the
config file are passed as -D defines in the Makefile.  The ip forwarding
variable is initialized using a macro, which is conditionally defined on
the macro passed from the config file (unless the ip fowarding macro is
also specified as an option).  If "make depend" were to include dependancies
on any defines created from the config file, anytime you did a config.new,
every file would have to be compiled, since there isn't any way for make
depend to know which symbols were changed.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu
Computer Consultant