Subject: Re: Booting from other devices
To: L. Todd Masco <cactus@bibliob.slip.netcom.com>
From: John Shardlow <john.txt@iceberg.demon.co.uk>
List: amiga
Date: 09/29/1994 10:19:00
Hi

> Actually, munix (at least, SunOS 4.1.1 munix) can run straight out of
> memory, from tape, without using the swap partition.  I genned a 4/260 a
> week ago doing this... it's tight, but it works.
>
> In general, though, you do load the mini-root to a swap partition.

That's right. The Sun machines do a two stage boot for the initial install.

First munix (totally memory resident) which allows you to partition the disk.

Then once you have created the swap partition you can load mini-root into
it which allow you to do the actual installation of root and /usr partitions.

Munix and mini-root are quite different beasts.

John

! John Shardlow                    | "I seem to be having     !
! john@iceberg.demon.co.uk         |  tremendous difficulty   !
! jshardlow@london.micrognosis.com |  with my lifestyle"      !
!                                  |    - Arthur Dent         !