Subject: Re: Problems with GVP 040/33 and crashes
To: None <fischers@Pool.Informatik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: amiga
Date: 09/27/1994 18:58:58
>>>>> "Sven" == fischers  <fischers@Pool.Informatik.RWTH-Aachen.DE> writes:

Sven> Hiho!  I have got some nice little problems using NetBSD with my
Sven> GVP 040/33 accelerator board.  I have got only 4MB on my GVP
Sven> used by NetBSD, so a lot of swapping has to be done. Compiling
Sven> larger programs such as 'origami', a folding editor, it always
Sven> comes to non-reproducable crashes while compiling, mostly
Sven> jumping into the debugger (I think it is one).  Has anyone
Sven> similar problems? Do you need a closer desription of my system?
Sven> Please contact me if you know anything about it.

Well, I too have run in 4MB in the past and sometimes got crashes in
pmap_enter_ptpage or something.  I didn't want to dig into this too
deep at the time, but rather compiled my own minimalistic kernel
removing everything I didn't need.  I also saw to that my swap-partitions
were big (about 2x20MB) and my problems really got less frequent.
Now I run with extra 6MB of 16-bit mem (Tim's non-contig work) and
never see this problem.  I guess that it'll remain until some kernel
hacker is forced to live with low mem and small swap partitions.

Hmm, I'm probably going to do a new pmap module for AmigaMach, partly
because of wanting to make a pmap module from scratch, partly because
I know the existing pmaps available to me has problems.  Maybe I can
find out what's eating NetBSD's variant at the same time as I try to
evaluate it for my own purposes.  No promises, though...

Niklas