Subject: Re: Booting from other devices
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: amiga
Date: 09/27/1994 20:20:13
In article <9409271919.AA11096@diamant.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de> markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE (Markus Illenseer) writes:
>  Aha? Great! :-) This eases the process. Anyone have mkisofs for NetBSD?

Yes, 1.0 works fine. 1.01 works if you back out one change, otherwise it
generates disks on which NetBSD can't seem to find the RR information.

> > Don't forget, PC's can't boot off of CD-ROM's...

386BSD-1.0 claims to ;-) ;-)

>  So they need the Bootfloppy to be able to mount the CD and then start-off the
> rest of the system?

No, you can just boot into AmigaOS, mount the CD, and run loadbsd off of
it. You're only going to do this for installation anyway, since you'll
need a writable root (at a minimum) on HD for real use.

>  Anyway, i don't believe Amiga can either. No RDB. And requires CD-driver in ROM.
> So we have to deal with a Bootfloppy or at least a 'loadbsd' and 'special.netbsd'
> startable from CD.

Well, CDTV and CD32 can, obviously, but that's because they have the ISO
filesystem in ROM.  Although, if you're clever you might be able to fit
a RDB on an ISO filesyetem, if there is any free space in the first
RDB_LOCATION_LIMIT blocks...  then the rest of the blocks could be in a
file.  It would be a lot of work, but it might be possible without
breaking the rules.  I'm almost certain that it's possible by bending
the rules a bit, in a way that shouldn't break much.  I don't think
it's worth the effort though. How often are they going to boot the CD to
install?

>  Hm, i could be in need for a new flag in loadbsd: -boot_from_cd_but_don't_use_-b_flag
> is that hard to do?

I don't think that loadbsd needs any changes at all.

--
Ty Sarna                  "Shut up, I'm having a rhetorical conversation!"
tsarna@endicor.com                  -Max, _The Producers_