Subject: Re: Booting from other devices
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga
Date: 09/27/1994 20:19:52
On Sep 27,  1:18pm, "Chris G. Demetriou" wrote:
[RR on CD with device nodes]
> >  Hu? Are you really sure about this?
>
> Yup, it's true.  RR disks can have device nodes.

 Aha? Great! :-) This eases the process. Anyone have mkisofs for NetBSD?

> > Why don't all those Linux-Distributions
> > use this? They all use a boot-floppy.
>
> Don't forget, PC's can't boot off of CD-ROM's...

 I am not sure if understand this correctly. There is no way telling the BIOS to
boot from CD rather than from C: ? *Faint memory* Hm, you might even be right,
poor PC-Users :)

 So they need the Bootfloppy to be able to mount the CD and then start-off the
rest of the system?

 Anyway, i don't believe Amiga can either. No RDB. And requires CD-driver in ROM.
So we have to deal with a Bootfloppy or at least a 'loadbsd' and 'special.netbsd'
startable from CD.

 Hm, i could be in need for a new flag in loadbsd: -boot_from_cd_but_don't_use_-b_flag
is that hard to do?

--
Markus Illenseer