Subject: Re: Booting from other devices
To: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga
Date: 09/27/1994 08:53:21
On Sep 26,  2:00pm, Michael L. Hitch wrote:
> Subject: Re: Booting from other devices
> On Sep 26,  7:49pm, Markus Illenseer wrote:
> >  Starting loadbsd with option -b ends up in a requestor for the boot-device.
> > It displays the choice between sdxa, fdxa and cdxa. (Isn't 'a' wrong ?)
> > (rstxa is missing, too >;-)
>
>   Um, the code shows that it should be printing "fd%d sd%d cd%d" - there
> isn't any 'a' there to be printed.

 Well yes, the code states this, that's true. But it's wrong. You have to type
'sd0' rather than 'sd0a' to boot.

>   Exactly how would you get a root file system on a tape drive and be able
> to do random accesses from it :-)

 Tapeworm? Well, it was just a suggestion...

>   I would guess that the CD would have to be written with a ffs file system
> and a partition table that includes the 'a' partition - unless there is
> some other code somewhere that knows enough to mount the root with the
> cd9660 filesystem.  I don't remember seeing that anywhere.  Anyway, I don't
> think an ffs formatted CD would work anyway - the kernel won't work if
> the block size isn't 512 bytes.  If the CD could do 512 byte blocks (I

 Hu?

> think some drives are capable of working in 512 byte blocks - I assume
> the drive must be doing the buffering & deblocking) and were written with
> a ffs partition (and in the Amiga's case, the RDB would also have to be
> present to provide the partition information), it might work.

 If you state 'cd0' fro booting, the kernel should switch over to ISO-9660,
no? I don't believe the kernel really requires FFS!

 The RDB is another problem which bothered me, too.

--
Markus Illenseer