Subject: Re: Booting from other devices
To: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Alan Bair <abair@sol-tx.sps.mot.com>
List: amiga
Date: 09/27/1994 01:20:15

> > > (rstxa is missing, too >;-)
> >   Exactly how would you get a root file system on a tape drive and be able
> > to do random accesses from it :-)
>
> I don't know *how* to do it, but I know this is possible on e.g. SUNs and HPs.
> So, this isn't impossible. Maybe some SUN/HP-guru could enlighten us?

Typically the way this works is to copy the root image off of tape into the
future swap partition. Then perform a special boot that does all processing in
real memory, no use of the swap space. This "mini-unix" (munix in Sun terms)
is used to setup the other filesystems copying the OS files from the rest of
the tape or other tapes. Then you boot the newly constructed system.

I have never heard of actually running the OS off of tape, though it can be
done with CD-ROM using the same type of swap less execution.

> Hubert
>
> --
>       Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
>       Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
>       Internet: hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de == IRC: hubertf

Alan Bair             		MCTG AMCU DSCS
Motorola, Inc.            	    (Design Software &
Mail Stop OE-320		     Computer Services)
6501 William Cannon Dr. West	(512) 891-2336
Austin, TX  78735-8598          abair@amcu-tx.sps.mot.com