Subject: Re: Booting from other devices
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: amiga
Date: 09/27/1994 02:10:55
In article <9409270105.ZM25247@rrzc1> Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de> writes:
> >   Exactly how would you get a root file system on a tape drive and be able
> > to do random accesses from it :-)
>
> I don't know *how* to do it, but I know this is possible on e.g. SUNs and HPs.
> So, this isn't impossible. Maybe some SUN/HP-guru could enlighten us?

Sun, at least for older versions, had a special "munix" (memory unix)
kernel that used a ramdisk for root, and preloaded the ramdisk from an
image on the tape.

There are some systems with random-access tapes though, which can boot
directly off tape. I think Sequent was one, but my memory is fuzzy.

--
Ty Sarna                  "Shut up, I'm having a rhetorical conversation!"
tsarna@endicor.com                  -Max, _The Producers_