Subject: Re: Notes on instal of pre-release-2
To: Amiga NetBSD - General <amiga@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Alan Bair <abair@sol-tx.sps.mot.com>
List: amiga
Date: 09/25/1994 12:25:17
I have found some fixes for my questions and others have provided some. I
am summarizing them all below.

> I picked up the 1.0-pre-release-2 on ftp.uni-regensburg.de and installed
> it this weekend. During the install process I noted the following things
> that I wanted to pass along to the developers.
>
> 1. I happened to have two root partitions online when I was running the
> 	installation. The scripts found both, but automatically chose the
> 	last one to use as root. It may be a good idea to add a list and
> 	have the user pick one like is done for /usr.

I'm going to look at the code and provide a fix, unless someone else is already
doing this.

> 2. The end of the initial install script mentions about putting the kernel
> 	on the new root, but that is the only time this is said. This
> 	should probably be added to the install docs, since the kernel is
> 	needed to have some of the tools work, like ps.
>
> 3. When I followed the install docs and went to edit some of the files in
> 	/etc, I found that vi failed due to TERM not being set. This was
> 	in single user mode. It gets set properly in multi-user mode.
>
> 4. This is not as important, but there should be a mention about linking
> 	/etc/localtime to the proper file.
>
> 5. It was not clear where the xxxx10.?? distribution files should be stored
> 	on the AmigaDOS side. I ended up putting them in subdirectories
> 	like they were on the FTP site just to safe. Then I cd'd into each
> 	of those directories, ran Set_tmp_dir and Extract xxxx10. This may
> 	have been over kill, but I wanted to make sure things were extracted
> 	correctly. Would it have been OK to just put all the xxxx10.?? in
> 	one directory and run Set_tmp_dir just once?

Putting them all in one directory has been reported as working OK.

For 2,4,5, I can edit the INSTALL.amiga file, but to who or where should I
put it so it can be reviewed and made a part of the distribution files. I
could just FTP it to incoming, but I hate seeing multiple versions of files
floating around and just causing more confusion.

> Other than these, everything installed with no problems. Then when I did the
> multi-user boot, I ran into the following.
>
> 1. fsck on root had some files it had to fix. I'm not sure why these occured
> 	since I shutdown correctly. Oh well.
>
> 2. As the startnet script ran, the following error message occured
>
> 	parsonsnb.sps.mot.com: bad value
>
> 	I don't see what is wrong here, except the hostname is >8 chars.

The problem is that this hostname is not placed in the /etc/hosts file. If you
say you have a network, it gathers more input and adds the entry to the file.
Otherwise, only "localhost" is added with inet addr 127.0.0.1. Then when the
command "route add usernode localhost" is run, it cannot resolve the usernode
name. I'm going to look at fixing the code. One solution would be to add the
usernode name with a dummy inet addr. Is there another good address to use
like the 127.0.0.1 one, maybe 127.0.0.2?

> 3. I keep getting the following message from ttyflags & getty
>
> 	/dev/ttye1: Device not configured
>
> 	Do I need to make some change in ttytab or somewhere else?

This is for the Retina console. If you don't have a Retina, edit the /etc/ttys
file and change the "on" to "off" for ttye1 entry. Since the Picasso is
comming soon and may use another entry like ttye2, how about only having
the ttye0 line "on" and inform GFX card owners to turn on the others. Or if
they all need to be on to allow the machines to come up, add a note in the
install docs to edit the /etc/ttys file.