Subject: Re: NetBSD install problems
To: None <billc@icecube.cryogenic.com>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: amiga
Date: 09/21/1994 11:26:24

>>> My setup is: Amiga 500 with 1Mb chip, GVP Impact series 2 (the
>>> zorro II board) with one hd and 4Mb memory, a VXL *30 board with
>>> 68030 and 68882 @ 40MHz and
Bill>                        ^^^^^^^
>> Doesn't this board have a '030 without MMU???

Bill> And Hubert wins the prize! ;-) The 40MHz 68030 are EC/LC only
Bill> parts... no MMU.  No MMU, no NetBSD/Amiga :-(.

Well, it's not really "No MMU", but rather "not entirely functional MMU".
He wouldn't have gone as far as he has unless the MMU was slightly
working at least.  With luck, NetBSD/Amiga may not exhibit his MMU's
faultyness.  Let him try without sync enabled, and then let him decide
if he wants to run NetBSD when knowing that any day his system may crash
causing loss of data or whatever.  The EC parts are (well at least were)
really "real" 68030, where the MMU was malfunctional.  Instead of
throwing them away,  Moto thought that they may as well get some money
out of them.  Unargueably, it's a good idea, as it lowers the price on
the functional '030s as well.  It's only too bad that some people
may get hurt when they start using computers, earlier not in need of a
MMU, in a way requiring a MMU.

Niklas