Subject: Re: Help me! Ethernet vs Slip!
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solutions.solon.com>
From: William J Coldwell <billc@icecube.cryogenic.com>
List: amiga
Date: 09/20/1994 04:40:38
icecube:
	ether: 199.2.115.1 -> cryonet (199.2.115.x : my class C)
	slip: 199.2.100.12 -> world

cryo:
	ether: 199.2.115.2

warp:
	ether 199.2.115.13

icecube is the slip link to the world, and I want everything to go through
it, so I run routed on it (as well as named, but that is an excersize that I
will leave for another message, should you need it).

"routed -s" is in my rc.local on icecube.

I want warp and cryo to use icecube as their default router, and since warp
is a NetBSD/Amiga setup, I'll explain how I do that.

In your /etc/netstart file, there are flags for routed, "routed_flags=-q" is
what I have set.

I created a /etc/mygate file with "icecube" in it, which the rc|netstart
files use to attach the default route.

/etc/hosts should have all of your machines in it, on all of your machines.
199.2.115.1	icecube.cryogenic.com	icecube
199.2.115.2	cryo.cryogenic.com	cryo
199.2.115.13	warp.cryogenic.com	warp

/etc/defaultdomain should have your domain name without the leading period.
Mine is "cryogenic.com"

I have a /etc/hostname.le0 file since I have an A2065 in warp, so it contains
inet	warp	0xFFFFFF00	199.2.115.255	up

Oh, /etc/myname has "warp.cryogenic.com" in it.

My /etc/resolv.conf has my Domain Name Server for my domain in it.  Since I
run named on icecube, it's my host.  Most people use other sites (usually
provided by your Internet Service Provider, or university that you are
connected to).  In my case, it holds:
nameserver 199.2.115.1
cryogenic.com
It's best to use IP#'s for your nameserver, for speed, and the fact that
you'd have to have your nameserver in your /etc/hosts files, which is a
nuicense to look up (for some people).

I do believe the above contains more than you wanted to know about how to get
your NetBSD machine using a SLIP link.  Should you be using your NetBSD as
your slip link, you will also need to configure the SLIP portion, which I
believe you already have done.  The most important part is to make sure that
you run routed so that the link addresses will be broadcasted.

icecube.cryogenic.com> netstat -rn
Routing tables
Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use  Interface
127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1          UH          2     2571  lo0
199.2.100.12     127.0.0.1          UH          0        3  lo0    <- Slip
default          199.2.96.35        UG          3   546621  slip0  <- default
199.2.115        199.2.115.1        U          10   692136  en0    <- Ether

Good luck.  If you need more help, send me your output from the above files,
and a netstat -rn listing.

Cheers!

(cc'ed to the mailing list for those who might want to know too)

--
 William J. Coldwell - billc@iceCuBE.cryogenic.com - Cryogenic Software