Subject: Re: dealing with /opt
To: None <,>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: amiga
Date: 09/18/1994 18:25:27
> 	I am new at this netbsd stuff. I have it working fine and X11 runs
> great! Yeah! But I don't understand how to deal with this /opt stuff

If you don't like /opt, do a "ln -s /usr/local /opt" and forget about it until
all programs are re-compiled to use /usr/local.

> I downloaded emacs gcc fvwm and bash. All of wish want to place themselves
> in the /opt directory. I put everything in /usr/opt. So how do I

There are install-docs for each of the mentioned programs, if I remember right.
If they insist on putting the stuff into /opt, do so.

> get everything installed and running right. I tried the ./../install/Install
> and i always get some sort of errors. Gcc says it can't find man. I know

Hu? Since when does gcc invoke man???

> I'm making this sound vague but I just need to know how to deal with the
> /opt. Do I rename /usr to /opt? And were do I get all the includes for
No! As mentioned above, best thing right now is to nuke /opt, link it to
/usr/local, and install the packages again.

> programming, like stdio.h and stdlib.h and et al? thanks for any help.

Install the "comp"-package.

      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet: == IRC: hubertf