Subject: Re: Summary of /etc/rc*
To: Karl Ivar Dahl <karld@ifi.uio.no>
From: Charles Ewen MacMillan <ilixi@Tezcat.Com>
List: amiga
Date: 09/13/1994 09:06:13
On Tue, 13 Sep 1994, Karl Ivar Dahl wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 1994 09:31:10 +0200
> From: Karl Ivar Dahl <karld@ifi.uio.no>
> To: cactus@bibliob.slip.netcom.com
> Cc: amiga@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: Summary of /etc/rc*
>

> L. Todd Masco writes:
>  > > I do not know hox Linux does it, but I do know many Linux users
>  > > that don't have the faintest idea how the system works.
>
> >Linux uses run levels -- but to be fair, I doubt that it's the modularity
> >that run-levels bring that causes Linux to have such a wide appeal.
>
> I agree, but it is not what I (tried) to say.
> I meant that the *lack* of run-levels might become one of the reasons
> NetBSD *won't* get such a wide appeal, not that run-levels made
> Linux popular :)

 There are on the other hand people who dislike run-levels as an idea.

 If and when they are added, I doubt that very many people will be using
them.

> Nah, It's not that good an argument anyway. I suppose I will
> have to live with NetBSD no matter how greek the rc is. :)

 It is not "greek" in its current state, it is simply more typical of the
Berkeley style Unices than SVr4 Unices.

Charles Ewen MacMillan  | Tezcat.COM - Wicker Park
  <ilixi@tezcat.com>    | Offering Internet Access
Modem: 312-850-0112/0117| Via Interactive UNIX to
Voice: 312-850-0181     |    the Chicago Area.
WWW: http://tezcat.com/ | Mail: info@tezcat.com