Subject: Re: Summary of /etc/rc*
To: Karl Ivar Dahl <karld@ifi.uio.no>
From: Charles Ewen MacMillan <ilixi@Tezcat.Com>
List: amiga
Date: 09/13/1994 09:00:38
On Tue, 13 Sep 1994, Karl Ivar Dahl wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 1994 09:09:49 +0200
> From: Karl Ivar Dahl <karld@ifi.uio.no>
> To: ilixi@xochi.tezcat.com
> Cc: cactus@bibliob.slip.netcom.com, amiga@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: Summary of /etc/rc*
>

> I have been following this thread for some time now, and
> feel I must express my views.
>
> First of all, I am no expert at all on the area, and that is
> my main reason for replying.
>
> If I have understood the "inits" of L. Todd Masco correctly,
> he proposes a rc setup that can (remotely) be compared
> to the Amiga's startup-sequence and user-startup.
>
> Well, nobody can say splitting the startup-sequence in two
> was a bad idea??

 I am afraid this is not the case. In the first instance, the "startup"
on a NetBSD system, as it comes from the base installation is split up
into more than one section, and in fact, can be split-up infinitely if
one wishes to so do, i.e.:
 touch /

  [ $? -ne 0 ] && . /etc/rc.single
  "Remounted root....."
 fi
 ...  < things following remount ommitted >

if  [ ! -f /etc/multi-user-mode ]; then

     [ ! -f /etc/no-net ]  && . /etc/rc.local
      "Started Network Daemons......"
     fi

     [ ! -f /etc/no-daemons ] && . /etc/rc.news
      "Started INN...."
     fi
fi
 ---------------------------------------

 With an /etc/rc like the above, the following line would take the system
 down, and restart all system tasks save for INN startup, and anything
 else on INN's rc script.

  echo "" > /etc/no-daemons ; kill 1

 What is instead being proposed, is changes to the program /sbin/init
which is one of the lowest levels of the UNIX operating system, and which
runs continually from power-on and boot-up.

> I am going to install Unix at home to allow me do some
> schoolwork. I do not have the time to become an expert.
> Therefore, the separation of programs and system scripts
> sound an excellent idea to me. That way, I can update my init
> scripts without having to know what I am doing :) I can even
> uninstall programs by deleting their corresponding scripts.

 All of the above are possible with the current setup however, as is
shown in my example. Installation and de-installation of programs has
little to do with /etc/rc.* unless the program needs to be installed in
the system startup, which applies only to daemon processes.

> Those that complain about this new setup seem to be
> perfectly able to edit their own rc, so what's the problem??

 I am perfectly able to edit my own rc, however, these are not just
changes to the rc files, they are the addition of a new system of
understanding them to the program init.

Charles Ewen MacMillan  | Tezcat.COM - Wicker Park
  <ilixi@tezcat.com>    | Offering Internet Access
Modem: 312-850-0112/0117| Via Interactive UNIX to
Voice: 312-850-0181     |    the Chicago Area.
WWW: http://tezcat.com/ | Mail: info@tezcat.com