Subject: Re: Summary of /etc/rc*
To: L. Todd Masco <cactus@bibliob.slip.netcom.com>
From: Charles Ewen MacMillan <ilixi@Tezcat.Com>
List: amiga
Date: 09/12/1994 23:21:12
On 12 Sep 1994, L. Todd Masco wrote:

> Date: 12 Sep 1994 22:20:26 -0400
> From: L. Todd Masco <cactus@bibliob.slip.netcom.com>
> To: amiga@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
> Subject: Re: Summary of /etc/rc*
>
> (Sorry, something I forgot to address)
>
> In article <Pine.SUN.3.90.940912184822.19817C-100000@xochi>,
> Charles Ewen MacMillan <ilixi@Tezcat.Com> wrote:
> > Although the stop argument feature might be useful for a few daemons
> >(I cannot see nfs being one of them however, as the drives must be umounted
> >from the clients)
>
> If you meant from the server end: NFS is stateless, so as long as the
> clients are not actively using the drives, they should be fine.  If
> you meant from the clients, then that's the sort of thing that you
> would put into the NFS shutdown script: umount and then kill the
> daemon.

 In the first place, I know of very few sites that export drives to
client machines that are not going to be used.

 In the second, client case, if the drives are mounted hard, then one is
unlikely to be able to umount them successfully from a script. Important
drives (i.e. drives that are used continually, or neccessary to machine
operation) are likely to be mounted hard.

 The script in short accomplishes no more than attempting to umount the
drives, and then killing the process.

 This can be done, again, without init_level support or seperate rc scripts.

Charles Ewen MacMillan  | Tezcat.COM - Wicker Park
  <ilixi@tezcat.com>    | Offering Internet Access
Modem: 312-850-0112/0117| Via Interactive UNIX to
Voice: 312-850-0181     |    the Chicago Area.
WWW: http://tezcat.com/ | Mail: info@tezcat.com