Subject: Re: Cybervision on NetBSD
To: YU SONG <cs_yus@cs4.lamar.edu>
From: Michael Teske <teske@mail.desy.de>
List: amiga-x
Date: 03/26/1996 11:27:34
On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, YU SONG wrote:

> I intend to purchase a Cybervision card in place of AGA for displaying
> X on NetBSD. Can that card speed up a lot?

Yes. Definitely.

> Somebody can give me some rough benchmark?

Don't know about AGA, because I still have an A3000, but it seems to be
5-10 times faster than Xdaniver on ECS with Xamiga24 (without blitter).
The new Xcv64 speeds up some operations (filling rectangles, copying windows,
drawing lines, etc.) another 10 times (measured with x11perf) on my system.
But this may depend on your cpu and ZIII access speed.

> My machine configuration is A4000/040, 16 fast RAM,
> BSD residing on 1.0G Fujitshu IDE drive w/256k cache on drive.

If you buy a new Cybervision be sure to get the kernel fixes from
regensburg, though.

--
Michael Teske (teske@wotan.desy.de)