Subject: Re: Terminal for X11R6 ?
To: Andy Heffernan <ahh@netcom.com>
From: Stephen Champion <steve@herb.kuru.com>
List: amiga-x
Date: 03/29/1995 23:47:23
> > you wrote in <9503281940.AA00c5a@vogon.islandnet.com>:
> > > Finally, I can't run startx without first su'ing to root.
> >
> > chmod 666 /dev/grf?
>
> and the same for /dev/kbd and /dev/mouse*.
>
> Or make the X server suid-root.  I'm not sure which one worse.

	Well, you can let people read you keyboard input, or you can let
the Xserver have root.  The Xserver never forks, and never does anything
but display information recieved from sockets.
	The standard way is to make the Xserver SUID.  However, if you
don't want it to be SUID root (for some reason, you don't trust it), then
you make it SUID bin. and make /dev/kbd, /dev/grf?, and /dev/mouse* owned
by bin.

	You can also do this with groups and SGID.

	Making the keyboard world R/W is a far worse idea, IMHO.

--
//  Stephen Champion                   Software Eng, *ix Admin, OS Design
//  schampion@hampshire.edu            Hampshire College - Amherst, MA