Subject: Re: Xamiga24
To: Andreas Johansson <ajo@ludd.luth.se>
From: None <mw@eunet.ch>
List: amiga-x
Date: 03/15/1995 23:11:38
> Hello, Markus Wild in particular.

Hi there:-)

> I just downloaded Xamiga24-950305.gz in hope that something had been done
> about my strange problem with the RetinaZ3/A4000 mousepointer only being
> displayed at y & 0xff00. But that was only a dream :(. Now, X is very

If some people with '40 and RZ3 could look into RZ3SetHWCloc(): at the end
of this function you'll find the following statements:
        *(acm + (ACM_CURSOR_POSITION+0)) = x & 0xff;
        *(acm + (ACM_CURSOR_POSITION+1)) = x >> 8;
        *(acm + (ACM_CURSOR_POSITION+2)) = y & 0xff;
        *(acm + (ACM_CURSOR_POSITION+3)) = y >> 8;
now... if ANYONE has an idea why the above statements work for '30ies, but
will just plain skip the third statement on a '40, *please* tell me...

For now, if you want to disable the hardware cursor, change the RZ3 driver
to return EINVAL on the GRFIOCGSPRITEMAX call. That way, Xamiga24 will know
that this particular grf-device doesn't support hardware sprites, and will
use software emulation. TAKE IN MIND THOUGH: panning (i.e. transparnet
scrolling of oversized screens when the mouse hits the edge of the screen)
works ONLY with a hardware cursor, because it's a feature that is hidden
from the Xserver and coupled to sprite positioning ioctl's. If you do this,
I'd suggest you set screen logical size to physical size (look for the
comment: /* This is the logical ^    ^    screen size */ in grf_rh.c).

So: in grf_rh.c, in function rh_getspritemax(), instead of returning 0 at the
end, return EINVAL.

> boring when it is hard to tell where the mouse pointer really is, so
> I would like to ask you (mw) if you could compile a version of Xamiga24
> which doesn't use the hardware cursor, but uses a simple softcursor
> instead. This would naturally be slower, but it would still be much better
> than the current behaviour.

My primary reason to use the sprite is not speed, but transparent panning
support... (hey, at least *I* am using this feature :-))

> I have tried compiling my own X-server, but the compilation sucks unless
> the whole distribution is compiled (I gather). I get lots of errors
> compiling it, and I haven't even reached to the hardware dependent stuff.

You *should* be able to compile the server without compiling all of the
library/other-programs stuff, but there are some dependencies...

-Markus
--
EUnet Switzerland   Tel:     +41 1 291 45 80	Markus Wild
Zweierstrasse 35    Hotline: +41 1 291 45 60	mw@eunet.ch