Subject: Why can I only run X11R6 as 'root'?
To: None <amiga-x@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ralph Seichter <ZODIAC@darkness.gun.de>
List: amiga-x
Date: 02/25/1995 10:46:23
Subject says it, why is it that I can only start X11R6 (the Amiga binaries
package) when I do "su root"? With every other user ID, I there's a pause
of some seconds and then I get the message "can't connect to server" and/
or "broken pipe". LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set, so maybe I some file permissions
aren't set properly?

I tried both "startx" and "xinit -- ./Xamiga24 -mode 4" from /usr/X11/bin,
but the results are the same. I checked the X-FAQ, but I didn't find an
obvious solution. Can you help me?

BTW, as a UNIX administrator newbie, I don't know if I should install the
X11 package as 'root', 'bin' or whatever.

	MfG,	Ralph
--
"Dreaming he's falling, Jerry forgets the well-known
 ''always-wake-up-before-you-land'' rule."  (GL)