Subject: Re: Working X using Cirrus in 1.0?
To: Ronald J. Menelli <rmenelli@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga-x
Date: 02/13/1995 22:11:56
On Feb 12,  9:55pm, Ronald J. Menelli wrote:
> 3). Downloaded the cirrus3 driver from regensburg and (I think) successfully
>     installed the driver and rebuilt the kernel. On bootup, grfcl is
>     configured and reported to be attached to the Spectrum.

 So far your are doing ine, is grfclx recognized as well? Did you performed
the necessary changes in the GENERIC-file ?

> I then link /usr/X11R6/bin/X to either Xcl or Xamiga24 and then run
>   startx -- "-mode 7 -dev /dev/grf3". The screen seems to switch to the
> Spectrum screen (I see a black and white checkerboard pattern (not the
> standard X background)) and a few seconds later the console screen returns
> reporting some kind of fault and dumps me into a debugger.

 Looks like a kernel panic caused by a bus-trap, you really sure about
configuring the Spectrum correctly ?

> The most interesting thing that I've noticed is that the behavior is the same
> regardless of the graphic mode chosen or which X server (Xcl, Xamiga24) is
> used. The screen seems exactly the same resolution.

 Yes, because the Spectrum -RAM is not found and not properly initialized.
What you are looking at is the remain of the Workbench - the inititialization
of the Registers seems ok so far, thats why the spectrum actually can toggle
the display.

> It seems a reasonable guess that the Cirrus driver is not working correctly.

 Correct :-)

> Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

 Pleasse check zthreebus.c and GENERIC-config-file, if all fails, send me
a dmesg - output.

--
Markus Illenseer