Subject: Working X using Cirrus in 1.0?
To: None <amiga-x@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ronald J. Menelli <rmenelli@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
List: amiga-x
Date: 02/12/1995 21:55:27
Hello all,

After a few initial problems resolved by answers from the NetBSD Amiga list,
I finally have NetBSD-1.0 running on my A3000. I'd now like to get X11R6
running on my Spectrum board. This is what I've accomplished so far:

1). Downloaded the X11R6 distribution from uni-regensburg.

2). Downloaded Xcl and Xamiga24 from the same place

3). Downloaded the cirrus3 driver from regensburg and (I think) successfully
    installed the driver and rebuilt the kernel. On bootup, grfcl is
    configured and reported to be attached to the Spectrum.

I then link /usr/X11R6/bin/X to either Xcl or Xamiga24 and then run
  startx -- "-mode 7 -dev /dev/grf3". The screen seems to switch to the
Spectrum screen (I see a black and white checkerboard pattern (not the
standard X background)) and a few seconds later the console screen returns
reporting some kind of fault and dumps me into a debugger.

The most interesting thing that I've noticed is that the behavior is the same
regardless of the graphic mode chosen or which X server (Xcl, Xamiga24) is
used. The screen seems exactly the same resolution.

It seems a reasonable guess that the Cirrus driver is not working correctly.
As far as I can tell, I installed it correctly, but who knows? Does anyone
have any test code that uses the graphic device? How else can I debug this
problem? Also, does anyone have a GENERIC+cirrus3 kernel I can try? I've
tried the netbsd-fastlane-cirrus3 kernel in regensburg's incoming directory,
but it does not seem to work with my setup (grfcl: ... not configured).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
-Ron Menelli
menelli@uiuc.edu