Subject: [bn@okcforum.osrhe.edu: xrdb problems]
To: None <amiga-x@netbsd.org>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: amiga-x
Date: 12/01/1994 05:04:47
[I'm forwarding this message as the author who erroneously sent it to
 me in the first place has since discarded it. -NH ]
From: Bo Najdrovsky <bn@okcforum.osrhe.edu>
Subject: xrdb problems
To: niklas@appli.se (Niklas Hallqvist)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 94 9:49:28 CST

Hi folks,

I have a problem with creating my own .xsession file.  I have my system
configured so that it comes up into xdm and when I log in using the default
stuff I set up in the /usr/local/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm, things work fine,
however when I create my own .xsession and .xresources the palette always
gets messed up.  The weird thing is that there is nothing really special
about the .xsession. All it does is start an xterm, xclock, and xload,
and it also does xrdb -load $HOME/.xresources.  The last part seems to be
the real cause of all the problems.  When it runs the xrdb, the navy blue
suddenly becomes gray, or sometimes pink, etc...  Now, there is nothing
wrong with the .xresources file, because if I run xrdb exactly the same
way as it is in my .xsession AFTER I log in, and just from the command line,
it reads the resources, and works flawlessly.  The colors for xterm work
correctly, and everything is fine.

Another problem I'm having with the Xamiga24 server and my Spectrum gfx
card is that the different resolutions don't work, usually they are all
1024x768 with different refresh rates (I can see some of them flicker
more than the others)  or  some of them just don't work, and the screen
gets all messed up.  I found that -mode 8 seems to work ok for the most
part, but there is a problem with moving the pointer off either left or the
right edge of the screen... it appears on the other side of the screen, but
at that point it is not on 'that' screen, because if the pointer gets
moved on top of any of the clients, the focus doesn't change to them,
and if I click the mouse button, twm just happily puts its menu right
over the client, at which point after the menu goes away, the backing
store brings back the regular X11 background.  Any ideas?

  sorry for the length of this message, I just wanted to be clear on
the symptoms of the problems.

   thanks,
      Bo

Bo Najdrovsky       //   A3000/25-EGS Spectrum-Texel CDROM-EMPLANT-IV24
bn@gnu.ai.mit.edu \X/         BCD2000A - Magnascan/15 -14.4 modem-
bn@okcforum.osrhe.edu        "Take hold of the flame!"  'Ryche On!