Subject: Re: Which graphics card?
To: None <tjs2@ukc.ac.uk, amiga-x@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga-x
Date: 11/08/1994 11:06:39
On Nov 6, 12:31pm, tjs2@ukc.ac.uk wrote:
> Which graphics card should I buy for it?  I would obviously like to use the card
> under both NetBSD and AmigaDOS, the monitor I have is quite acceptable at
> 1152x900 NI, so a card that supported that mode in at least 256 cols would be
> perferable.  The cards I initially considered were the Picollo, or Picasso,
> or some noname ISA Cirrus Logic card with a Golden Gate II (is support for this
> last option lightly to turn up?) or, should I wait for one of the 64bit CL cards
> to appear (eg a UU Edge) and if I do, how difficult is it lightly to be to
> modify the existing CL driver for this card?  If I went for a Picollo/Picasso
> now, would the CL driver need tinkering with to work with my monitor (69 / 79
> kHz, 60 - 70 Hz)?

 I believe there is no support for GG with standard ISA VGA for ADOS and
not yet NetBSD (the later is more probable than the frist).

 Piccolo is the cheapest card available (about DM300 on WoC last weekend),
and the fastest Cirrus 5427 based board. But the support for the card
under ADOS is discontinued.

 Picasso has best driver under ADOS and as i do own one, will be supported
under NetBSD for quite a while :-)

 I cannot speak for Spectrum - never had one in my hands.

 Piccolo and Spectrum do have a (somehow flakey) workbench driver and support
this EGS thing.

 All the cards are programmable in their resolutions and frequencies,
they cannot reach more than (reasonable) 64kHz and 80Hz.

 Retina 2 and BLZ 3 are supported since long but don't have a good workbench
driver (in my opinion).

 Upcoming Cybervision and Piccolo 3 will probably be supported soon.
(Cybervision with S3, Piccolo 3 with Cirrus64)

 Your choice :-)

--
Markus Illenseer