Subject: Re: Cirrus kernel - problems
To: Karl-Gunnar Hultland <dixie@Krille.Update.UU.SE>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga-x
Date: 10/16/1994 19:08:32
On Oct 16,  4:48pm, Karl-Gunnar Hultland wrote:
> Subject: Cirrus kernel - problems
> OK I have a problem getting it to work with my NetBSD system
> I have been following the README file to the letter but it
> won't work as it is supposed to.  The kernel works, and is
> inited OK, my Picasso board (2 MB RAM) is found and my
> A3000 boots into NetBSD multiuser without any problems.

 Great to hear.

[...]
> When I add the -dev /dev/grf3 line I get a message saying that
> it can't connect to the server and then exits, if I don't
> specify it my ECS display turns all grey (like the background I
> use in my normal X environment) but no sign of a mousepointer or
> anything. (I have two monitors connected to by Amy for this testing)

 Errm, move the mouse to the left, it should come then on the ECS
display from the right :-) Multiple screen Magic.

> After I have started this up I can't exit back to the normal console
> and have to resort to doing a reset. As for me having installed X11R6
> correctly... Well if I restore the link to Xamiga instead of Xamiga24
> it all works as before, and I get up my usual display after typing
> startx.

 *sigh* I have no idea what could cause your problems. Have you
tried Xamiga24 (not using startx) alone, probably even with ktrace and
looked what happens? Any error messages other than 'couldnt connect' ?

> PS: A couple of times (but not always) just typing startx with a link
>     to Xamiga24 has given me a better result, then I have been getting my
>     normal twm server but with the picture 'ghosted' giving me several
>     overlapping displays, not usable but atleast I have been able to
>     exit cleanly to the console. This behaviour seems random though as it
>     has only happened 2 or 3 times during the 100 or so reboots that I
>     have made.

 Looks like the 1960 cannot sync..

 All i can offer is to wait for Dagge's Xcl, which supposely is able to
use you very own defined screenmode. Until then... try to find out what
really happens.

--
Markus Illenseer