Subject: Re: XamigaMono Server for R6
To: None <mw@eunet.ch>
From: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: amiga-x
Date: 09/18/1994 17:13:14
> Why ON EARTH would you want a huge program such as the Xserver to run
> as root?? Sounds almost worse than sendmail :-) Seriously, what functionality
> doesn't work if the server isn't run as root? I'm curious because I'm
building
> a (retina) R6 server myself, and haven't so far faced ANY problems running
> it as a normal user.

I had the R5-servers run setuid root, and the R6 one come without those
permissions, but didn't work. I didn't want to debug it, so I made it setuid
root and it worked. Probably not the best way to solve such ab problem, but it
works. :-)

Hubert

--
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788