Subject: Re: Blitting
To: Phil Mucci <phil@gradient.com>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga-x
Date: 03/25/1994 15:11:55
> > I don't think we want to start cluttering the kernel up with CPU driven
> > rendering routines for stuupid frame buffers.  X servers should query the

Definitely NOT, right.

>   Why not just have one server which does everything through the
> views device? It could be specified at kernel build time what you wanted.

Views is suited for custom chips, I think we already discussed this topic
to great depth before, don't relight those flames...

> the request - be that a blit or whatever. Putting anything into the server
> is a bad idea - look what happened to the X86 server.

I don't think at all that this is a bad idea. Have the grf/view interface
deal with common things that framebuffers might implement (like blitting,
like showing a hardware cursor), and add board-specific stuff to the server.

> 	No one has yet answered me about the grf device though...
> I assume it's going to be trashed?

Certainly not from my point of view (no pun intended now:-)).

-Markus
--
CHUUG/EUnet Switzerland				Markus Wild
Zweierstrasse 35	Tel: +41 1 291 45 80	mw@eunet.ch