Subject: Blitting
To: None <amiga-x@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
List: amiga-x
Date: 03/23/1994 14:44:24
Sorry 'bout that last message.  Lost my connection, and elm decided to
send it anyway.

I noticed some blit ioctls are defined in grfioctl.h.  Have they been
implemented yet?  Chris Hopps said that /dev/grf now sends all ioctls
on to /dev/view, and the blit ioctls are not implemented yet in views.

I believe that at least area move, line draw, and area fill ioctls
should be supported by the custom chips, possibly along with a
hardware cursor (sprite).  I am interested in implementing them in the
near future.  I plan to have the kernel queue up requests and dispatch
the blitter asynchronously, probably adding a "tell me when all the
blitting is through" synchronization ioctl.

If all rendering is done with the blitter, there is also a need to
allocate off-screen bitmaps (pixmaps) for the server to be able to
scribble into, so a user-level chipmem allocator seems necessary.

What are the ramifications of these functions on other graphic cards?

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
					..!{decwrl,mips,fernwood}!btr!eeh
	"Trust me, I am cognizant of what I am doing." - Hammeroid