Subject: Re: tcl/tk on Amiga-NetBSD X11R5
To: None <amiga-x@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Andreas Heitmann <heitmann@crunch.ikp.physik.th-darmstadt.de>
List: amiga-x
Date: 03/02/1994 15:24:13

    Markus> On Feb 22, 4:36pm, "Andreas Heitmann" wrote:

    >> But with Tcl/Tk another problem showed up: when Tcl/Tk wants to
    >> lookup a color from the color database, only color names which
    >> are completely lowercase are recognized. Color names with
    >> uppercase letters are "unknown" and give me an error
    >> message. Is this a bug in my color DB, or a bug in the server ?

    Markus>  I thibk this is a bug in your database. try out
    Markus> 'XRainBow' or 'xcolor' to check (can both be found on your
    Markus> loveable ftp server).

I recompiled the rgb database using 'rgb' from the MIT distribution and
the problem is still there. I looked at rgb.c and saw that all the
colornames from rgb.txt are converted to lowercase before they are
stored in the files rgb.dir and rgb.pag. So it seems that the X server
(i.e. the function XLookupColor()) is case sensitive although clients
assume that it isn't.

Any suggestions ?

   Andreas Heitmann  (heitmann@crunch.ikp.physik.th-darmstadt.de)

	"Hey, it's Unix! I know this!"