Subject: Kernel printf Question
To: None <chammer@hermes.hrz.uni-bielefeld.de>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 02/07/1996 13:20:12
   Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 11:47:29 +0000 (GMT)

   > Its the accepted solution for Alphas running OSF/1, DECstations
   > running Ultrix, Sparcs running SunOS or Solaris... why should it be
   > wrong for anything running NetBSD?
   >
   > Remember: it might be the panic message you want to see under all
   > circumstances, because you want to fix the kernel bug.

   Please explain to me why there should not be a flag be added in the
   grf_??.c that tells if the screen is used at the moment bye /dev/grf? or
   ite. It should be easy. All output on the console has to go through it.
   speed reasons?

There _is_ such a flag in the grf_softc structure, and it is at least
partially honored by the drivers.

However, it does not block kernel created messages. You want to see
them under any circumstances, even if 90% of your system has crashed,
including the syslogd.

As long as the system is sane, you can redirect them with xconsole (or
should be able to do it). If something goes wrong, the panic message
would be printed in text mode regardsless of the the sanity of the X
server (it might not end up in the syslog files, as the filesystem
might be corrupt at that point, or would not be synced on the crash).

Regards,
	Ignatios