Subject: sourcecode beautifying
To: None <amiga-dev@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <chammer@HRZ.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 09/27/1995 16:52:05
To waste my time with one of the more important
points in the netbsd-amiga port i wonder if there
is anybody going to beautify some of the device
driver sources:)
I really dont want to offend anybody but looking
thru it i find here and there locations where i
would write it in one or another way different.

Another question i have is(of at least same importance:):
Would it hurt anything to use the same major numbers
for devices on the different ports? Of course it
may hurt backwart compatibility..

Is it possible to attach several drivers to the same
ZorroII board? As i understand it with the normal way
by checking man and prod ids only the first device is
configured, not? What should i do to solve this?

Is there any kind person who explains to me how xservers normally
access the gfxcard ram? I thought they map the device with
a pmap call into ram and have to sync it explicit when write
accesses occured to the ram but i cant find a read,write function
in the grf stuff. Does the pmap call handle devices something
different? I thought it accesses the device with open(),read() calls
as a normal file. I have the problem that i want to write a device
for vga cards via crosslink but isa cards accessed via crosslink
are mapped in a special way(bytes word aligned, words longword aligned)
I imagine to hide this behaviour to the xserver by a special read function
in the device driver but it seems that there is no such function in
the grf devices. No way?
ciao
Carsten

--
Carsten Hammer  Schwindstr. 7 33615 Bielefeld
Fakultaet fuer Physik          D4-139